Wednesday, May 30, 2012


Good news! We are feeling better J Well I am feeling better and Nate is at about 75% which means we were able to leave the house. Nate has been teaching business classes the last two days and boy was I happy to be able to leave the house.  I was feeling so sick and then this morning it was a miracle I felt better!! We had proud to be a girl today and it was awesome! We went clear out in the middle of nowhere.  The guy that we went with was named Amos, he rented a car (which is a pretty big deal) he took us all out to these schools.  So you have to picture this, we are teaching a curriculum to girls to help empower them and help them with the difficult challenges that these girls face.  We are teaching about HIV/AIDS prevention and Amos takes us to an elementary school that is ages 4-9 maybe 10. But the majority of the children are 4 or 5.  None of them spoke any English so our class that was planned didn’t really work.  The girl who is the main speaker, Abby just had to modify everything and it just turned into them showing us their school and asking for us to build them a new facility.   I was able to speak to the kids for a little bit teaching them to be kind to one another and not to make fun of each other. 
When we went to the high school it was awesome! The girls had lots of good questions and then there were like 15 girls that were sitting around me and they had no questions.  I gave them a good little chat on why abstinence is so important.  But they were just all there sitting captive and then they found out I was married and were giggling when I showed them pictures of Nate.  I told them how he proposed and that they need to marry someone who is kind and loving.  It was a pretty cool experience.  (So I started writing this last night and after I said I was feeling better I threw up) it was so weird but I think I am done with being sick for the rest of my life. There is a girl in our group that got a parasite who they had to take to the hospital last night.  We have a lot to be grateful for, I would never want to spend the night in an African hospital.
Today Nate and I went to Kampala; Nate said he just needed to get out.  We went to get some good “American food” we were starving by the time we got there and finally found a place we could get a burger.  We literally took two bites and were completely full.  It was painful to eat, we were kind of disappointed that we couldn’t enjoy it that much but it was sure good to get some meat in our bodies. We decided that we could never be vegetarians. 
We went to teach some classes on dental hygiene to this village tonight.  It was kind of an awkward situation because they were under the impression we were giving treatment and pulling teeth and giving them tooth brushes and paste.  The girl that set it up was sick so we felt bad they were a little disappointed.  We just got back from the Lugazi business classes which are doing GREAT! We are going to have to find a new venue because there are so many people we don’t have enough seats for them.  I think that is a great problem to have.  So we are happy and excited about the things that are going on.
Last night Nate told me, “I know why we are here, this is your counseling internship and New York is my investment banking internship.” We are having lots of drama in the house and lots of the girls have been coming to me for advice and crying because they want to come home.  We are both learning lots of lessons we never thought were involved in this African adventure... But WE LOVE IT!!

1 comment:

  1. I am sooo glad you guys are doing better! (maybe?!) You probably won't really get better until you get back to the states and can eat more! I love to hear about what you are doing though. I can just see with all those young women gathered around you listening to your stories and advice Liz..I love it!...and of course you would be counseling the volunteers as well. EFY has prepared you well for one of what I am sure will be the primary roles you will fulfill in your life! It's so exciting that the business classes are growing so much. What a great opportunity you are taking to serve and help other people. It's awesome! Please continue to feel better and find some calories!! We love you so much!

    ReplyDelete